Last updated on January 13th, 2022 at 06:43 pm
10 sentences of past continuous tense in English! Hey guys! In today’s blog post, we’re going to be learning about the past continuous tense. This is a really useful verb tense for describing things that were happening in the past at a certain point in time. So without further ado, let’s get started! 🙂
What is a Past Continuous Tense?
A past continuous tense is used to describe an action that was ongoing in the past, as well as when it started and stopped.
When do we use a Past Continuous Tense?
We use the past continuous tense for three reasons:
1. To show that one action was happening when something else happened. (The door bell rang just as he walked in the room).
2. To show that one action was happening at a specific time in the past. (I was watching TV when she phoned yesterday)
3. To show that two actions were happening at once or to express disagreement between them: (While we were discussing politics, he fell asleep).
How do we make a Past Continuous Tense?
All verbs are either regular, irregular or phrasal. For the purpose of this article, we will look at how to make present simple tense for regular and irregular verbs as well as the difference between phrasal verb tenses. We will also look at questions, negatives and clauses.
Here are 10 examples of past continuous tense:
These are the useful sentences that you can use in your conversation.
- I was eating pizza when she called me to go outside.
- As I drove, she was laughing at my driving.
- Aleena was eating constantly in the class.
- My friend was gazing at her nonstop.
- When the boss inquired, I was completing my previous task.
- He was taking tea when I asked him to stand up.
- As I reached, the professor was taking the class.
- The boys were laughing at her until she complained to their parents.
- The snow was falling every night that winter.
- I was feeling bored but she gave me a good company.
You can Download PDF of this lesson.