Last updated on October 12th, 2021 at 12:58 pm
How to use article the in english grammar?
Correct use of article the is explained with rules and examples. After this you will be able to corretly use the in writings. Here you will learn how to use article “the” in english grammar. you can download pdf.
Rules for use of article
What are the rules for using article? or what is the correct use of article? There are 7 rules to use article. They are explained below.
What are the 7 rules of using article the?
Rule 1 how to use article the in english grammar
Correction of Article
Incorrect: King ordered to fight.
Correct: The King ordered to fight.
Incorrect: Horse which Sana got getting old now.
Correct: The horse which Sana got is getting old now.
Incorrect: Rice that is grown in Pakistan is better than rice that is grown in India.
Correct: The Rice that is grown in Pakistan is better than the rice that is grown in India.
Incorrect: Government of Pakistan announced a package for Hajjaj-e-Karam.
Correct: The Government of Pakistan announced a package for Hajjaj-e-Karam.
Rule: In order to distinguish a noun from other nouns ‘the” is used! as in above examples.
Incorrect: A student asked his teacher about a Mathematical question. On teacher’s reply student said thanks.
Correct: A student asked his teacher about a Mathematical question. On the teacher’s reply the student said thanks.
Incorrect: A Girl saw a beautiful flower in a Garden. Color of flower was pink.
Correct: A Girl saw a flower in the garden. Color of the flower was pink.
Rule 2 use of article in English grammar
Rule; “The” is used before that common noun that has mentioned before in the sentences. As in the case of ‘Student’ and ‘Flowed
1) Incorrect: Dog is a faithful animal.
Correct: The dog is a faithful animal.
2) Incorrect: Horse is a steady animal.
Correct: The horse is a steady animal.
3) Incorrect: Carnivore eats meat.
Correct: The carnivore eats meat.
4) Incorrect: Mammal feeds its young ones on its milk.
Correct: The mammal feeds its young one on its milk.
Rule 3 use of the in english
Rule: common noun is being used to indicate a class of something then ‘the’ is used before that noun.
1) Incorrect: River Indus flows in Sindh.
Correct: The river Indus flows in Sindh.
2) Incorrect: Danube is the longest river in Europe.
Correct: The Danube river is the longest river in Europe.
3) Incorrect: Largest group of Islands is coral Islands.
Correct: The largest group of Islands is the Coral Islands.
4) Incorrect: The England is an island.
Correct: England is an Island.
5) Incorrect: Himalayas is the biggest mountain range in world.
Correct: The Himalayas is the biggest mountain range in world.
6) Incorrect: The Mount Everest is the highest mountain.
Correct: Mount Everest is the highest mountain.
7) Incorrect: Atlantic Ocean runs through America and adjoining countries.
Correct: The Atlantic Ocean runs through America and adjoining countries.
8) Incorrect: Qur’an was revealed on Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.).
Correct: The Qur’an was revealed on Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.).
9) Incorrect: New York Times gave the news of Iran’s nuclear programme.
Correct: The New York Times gave the news of Iran’s nuclear programme.
Rule 4 correct use of “the”
Rule: ‘The’ is used before the names of river, oceans, seas etc, groups of Islands, not before an individual island and it is used before ranges of mountains not before a single mountain. It is also used before proper names of books and newspapers; as above examples have shown.
1) Incorrect: He is most intelligent boy in the class.
Correct: He is the most intelligent boy in the class.
2) Incorrect: She has longest hair.
Correct: She has the longest hair.
3) Incorrect: Adam is tallest boy of his family.
Correct: Adam is the tallest boy of his family.
Rule: ‘The’ is used before the superlative degree of an adjective.
1) Incorrect: Poor are often hardworking.
Correct: The poor are often hardworking.
2) Incorrect: Rich are not hospitable.
Correct: The rich are not hospitable.
3) Incorrect: English writers did a lot to uplift English literature.
Correct: The English writers did a lot to uplift the English literature.
Rule of using article 6
Rule: ‘The’ is being used before adjectives that are used as nouns in the plural sense.
1) Incorrect: The cows are grazing.
Correct: Cows are grazing.
2) Incorrect: The cats are running.
Correct: Cats are running.
3) Incorrect: The Jackals are howling.
Correct: Jackals are howling.
Rule 7 how to use article the in english grammar
Rule: ‘The’ is not used before common nouns in plural number.
1) Incorrect: The love wins the hearts.
Correct: Love wins the hearts.
2) Incorrect: The haste makes waste.
Correct: Haste makes waste.
3) Incorrect: Alia likes the diamond jewelry.
Correct: Alia likes diamond jewelry.
You can download “rules how to use article the in english grammar” pdf.