Last updated on December 1st, 2023 at 03:22 pm
Step into the world of language with a fresh perspective on prepositional phrases. In this insightful piece, we’ll showcase how these simple yet powerful elements enrich our communication, providing clarity and flair to everyday English. Get ready to appreciate the subtle artistry in the words we use daily.
What are Prepositional Phrases?
Prepositional phrases are linguistic structures consisting of a preposition followed by a noun or pronoun, known as the object of the preposition. These phrases function to provide additional information about time, location, or direction in a sentence, thus offering context and detail to enhance the meaning of the primary statement.
Download this lesson in PDF, Here.
10 Examples of Prepositional Phrases
1. In the morning
- Meaning: During the early part of the day.
- She jogs in the morning every day.
2. Under the bridge
- Meaning: Located beneath the bridge.
- They found shelter under the bridge.
3. Beside the fireplace
- Meaning: Next to the fireplace.
- The cat slept soundly beside the fireplace.
4. Above the clouds
- Meaning: Higher than the clouds.
- The airplane soared above the clouds.
5. Between the lines
- Meaning: Implied, not explicitly stated.
- Read between the lines to understand the meaning.
6. Beyond the horizon
- Meaning: Farther than what one can see.
- Sailors ventured beyond the horizon.
7. Along the river
- Meaning: Parallel to the river.
- They walked along the river every evening.
8. Across the street
- Meaning: To the other side of the street.
- The café is across the street from the park.
9. Through the forest
- Meaning: Passing from one side to the other.
- The path winds through the forest.
10. Against the wind
- Meaning: In opposition to the wind’s direction.
- They struggled against the wind on the hike.
You can Download PDF of this lesson.