Last updated on November 28th, 2022 at 03:25 am
Parts of Speech with Examples
What are parts of speech? In English the words or parts of different sentences are called parts of speech. There are eight parts of speech that make our sentences complete. Here different parts of speech are explained with examples in detailed. Here eight parts of speech with examples pdf are explained.
How may parts of speech are there?
There are eight parts of speech in English Grammar.
8 Parts of Speech with Examples
Here the 8 parts of speech are explained one by one in an easy way with examples and PDF is also attached.
What is noun in English Grammar? Noun is defined as “the name of a person, place, thing, idea or any kind of feeling”.
Examples of Noun:
Man, lee, john, table, computer, police, death, advice, Africa, sweets, hatred, jealousy and market are the some common examples of noun.
Use of Noun in Sentences:
- Jealousy destroys everything.
- A good man always speaks truth.
- Taj Mahal is situated in India.
- Badshahi mosque is situated in Lahore.
- Aisha will go to the market.
- The boy I splaying cricket.
Noun have different kinds they are also explained with examples and sentences.
What is pronoun? Pronoun is defined as “ the word that is used at the place of a noun is called pronoun”.
Examples of Pronoun:
Some common examples of pronoun are: he, she, this, that, I, we, they, it, you, yours etc.
Use of Pronoun in Sentences:
- He is an honest man.
- She is kind hearted woman.
- They all are invited on this marriage ceromony.
- I am going to the nearest cutlery store.
- You are a very good friend and I love your company.
You can see that in in second sentence the word he is used at the place of a person john so it plays the role of a noun in this sentence.
There are different kinds of pronoun.
What is verb? All of us are familiar with the word verb. It is defined as “ the word which expresses the action of a noun is called verb”. It is basically an action that a noun performs.
Examples of verb:
Some common examples of verb are : reading, roared, visit, writes etc.
Use of verb in sentences:
- John is writing a letter.
- She is reading a book.
- Will we visit zoo?
- The lion is roaring in the cage.
- I am going to the store.
- He washes his car every Saturday.
- They have been married for ten years.
- You should call your mother.
There are different kinds of verb that are explained with examples and their sentences.
What is an adjective? An adjective is defined as “the words that adds to the meaning of a noun or pronoun” it basically qualifies the noun or pronoun.
Examples of adjective:
Some common examples of adjective are : best, good, pretty, fast, clever, cheap etc.
Use of adjecives in sentences:
- Norma has pretty hair.
- John is a good boy.
- Aisha is my best friend.
- I have a big heart.
- She loves tall men.
- That was a terrible movie.
- Wow, you did an amazing job!
The different types of Adjectives are described here.
What is adverb? Adverb is defined as “the word which qualifies an adjective, a verb or another adverb is known as adverb”.
Examples of adverbs are:
gladly, gently, quietly, safely, truthfully, warmly
Use of adverb in sentences
- The man runs slowly.
- She runs very quickly.
- Lee did a very difficult sum.
- I slowly walked to the store.
- She arrives at 6 PM sharp.
- The project is almost complete.
Here in sentence one the slowly is an adverb, in second sentence the very is an adverb and in third difficult.
There are different kids of ADVERB.
Prepositions are defined as “ the class of words that indicates the relationship between nouns, pronouns and other words in a sentence are known as preposition” Sometimes they come before a noun.
Examples of preposition are:
in, on at are some prepositions.
Use of prepositions in sentences.
- The book is in the box.
- Shoes are under the table.
- The lazer is behind the box.
- The dog is in front of the door.
- The child is beside the window.
The “conjunction” is merely a word which merely joins two sentences and sometimes two words.
Examples of conjunctions are:
and, still, either. Or, not only, too, otherwise, so, as, however, such that, else, unless, until etc.
Use of conjunctions in sentences.
- Birds fly but dogs don’t.
- He is just 10 year old and working hard.
- He is a brave but his brother is coward.
- Do you want to come with me or not?
- I’m not sure what I’m going to do tonight, so I might just stay home.
- She’s very pretty, and she’s also very smart.
- He’s taller than me, but he’s not as tall as my brother.
The “interjection” is a word which expresses some sudden feeling or emotion.
The interjection are used in exclamatory sentences, which expresses some sudden joy, sorrow or surprise.
Examples of interjection:
Oh! Gosh! Wow! Good! Ouch! Hey!
Use of Interjection in sentences:
- Ouch! That hurt.
- Oh! Where are you going?
- Wow! That was an amazing performance!
- Oh no! I can’t believe I lost my phone.
- Yikes! That was a close call.
- Aww! that’s so sweet of you to say!
- Huh? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.
You can download “parts of speech with examples pdf”.
What are 8 parts of speech?
The eight parts of speech are noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, conjunction, preposition and interjections.
What are 4 main parts of speech?
The 4 main parts of speech are noun, verb, pronoun and adverb.